Flower Mound Youth Sports Association
PROTOCOLS FOR FALL 2020 PRACTICE & GAME PLAY
Date: August 15th, 2020
To: ALL TEAMS, COACHES, PLAYERS, PARENTS & FANS
We are pleased to announce that per the Texas Governor’s executive order in early June, a Path Forward for a return to YOUTH SPORTS GAME PLAY was authorized and remains intact for our Fall Season!
Pursuant to Governor Abbott’s Executive Order and with support and approval from the Town of Flower Mound. (Social Distancing for spectators will still be recommended; see details below. Mask wearing, where social distancing isn’t possible, for spectators, is also recommended under the Governors Executive Order from early July. His Executive Order on mask wearing includes too and from the parking lot and in open spaces where social distancing cannot be maintained.)
PROTOCOLS FOR PRACTICES/GAME PLAY:
- COACHES/PLAYERS/PARENTS/FANS MUST READ, UNDERSTAND, AND AGREE TO THE PROTOCOLS IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE IN FALL SEASON PRACTICES/GAME PLAY. FURTHERMORE, WE RECOMMEND THOSE IN ATTENDANCE FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED CDC GUIDELINES & GOVERNORS EXECUTIVE ORDERS.
- PARENTS AND FANS (SPECTATORS). Each field will have designated areas where Parents and Fans, are restricted from entering. Parents and fans are recommended to ensure social distancing is maintained. (Family units may sit together.)
- NO PARENTS OR FANS ARE ALLOWED INSIDE ANY WARM-UP AREA, DUGOUT, OR ON THE FIELD OF PLAY. These areas are restricted to Coaches/Umpires and Players only.
- There will be NO grouping of the team outside of the field of play for typical “post-practice/game” meetings, or shared snacks, etc.
- Teams are strongly encouraged to leave immediately after their practice and/or immediately after the sportsmanship greeting has concluded at the end of game play, to allow for the next teams to have ease of access and ample warm-up time on the field.
- Signs will be posted reminding Parents and Fans of Social Distancing/Mask Wearing recommendations.
- Parents should supervise and facilitate the arrival and departure of their player. If the parent or parents remain to watch the practice/game, they are asked to practice social distancing and remain 6 feet apart and spread out in the common area around the outside of the ballfield. Bleachers may be used pursuant to suggested social distancing guidelines. (A family unit may sit together.) Mask wearing is recommended where social distancing (remaining 6’ from non-family members) can’t be maintained.
- Siblings should NOT be brought to the ballfields if it can be avoided. We realize there are a lot of single parent homes and that this is not possible for many. If you need to bring a sibling with you, please feel free to do so; just make sure they stay with you, under your control and ensure they practice the same social distancing as recommended that all spectators follow. If staying at the ballfields, please ensure social distancing recommendations are followed. NO BIKES, SKATEBOARDS, ROLLER BLADES, SCOOTERS, etc. for siblings to use. Siblings must stay with the family unit and follow the social distancing recommendations at this time.
- Only players and coaches allowed to enter the field/dugouts.
- It is recommended by the Governors Executive Order from early July to wear a face covering from the parking lot to the ballfield entrance. Once inside the ballfield, the face covering can be removed.
- Parents (see details provided above in section “2.” Regarding guidelines to follow.
- GAME PLAY.
- Home Plate Meeting. It shall consist of the umpire(s) and the head coach (1) from each team.
- Coaches. Max of 4 coaches per team.
- Offense: Normal Base Coach Positions, one (1) at 1B and one (1) at 3B.
- Two (2) additional coaches allowed outside the dugout
- Recreational Game Play: One (1) umpire for 7U & 8U. Two (2) umpires for 9U and up. Umpires will be in their normal positions on the field of play.
- Interlock, TEBA, Tournament Play: Two (2) umpires for all ages. Umpires will be in their normal positions on the field of play.
- Rules. Normal baseball rules apply. FMYSA uses NFHS rules and has modified rules for recreational play.
- Protest/Appeals. Any rules protest or appeals request must be made by first seeking time out from the umpire and using the recommended social distancing guidelines. Any protest or appeal MUST be handled in a calm professional manner and must follow league or tournament rule guidelines. This is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy. Coaches that cannot abide by this protocol will be immediately ejected and asked to leave the ballpark and are subject to league rules regarding ejections.
- No Post Game Handshake/High Fives between teams. Instead players and coaches will line up “Outside their perspective dugouts to extend their good sportsmanship greetings to each other. (A coordinated tip of the hat is recommended.)
- Teams need to leave immediately after game play/sportsmanship greeting has been completed. This requirement is made to ensure all teams have adequate warm-up time and to avoid potential clustering.
- Game Start Times. Games will be scheduled with a 30-minute break to allow for teams to exit and enter dugout areas without potential clustering, and to allow for adequate pre-game warm-ups.
- Teams Arriving for Games. Teams arriving must wait just outside of the designated dugout areas, or in the designated Warm-Up Areas.
- Pre-Game Warm-Ups. Zero pre-game warm-ups may take place in the designated common areas. Warm-ups are RESTRICTED to: 1) Designated Warm-Up Areas, 2) On the Game Field (outfield only).
- Dugouts. USE OF DUGOUTS FOR GAME PLAY. Teams are permitted to use the dugout.
- DUGOUT CLEANLINESS. Teams are required to clean their dugout PRIOR to departing after their practice/game.
- WATER. Coaches and Players are responsible for their own water/PowerAde, Gatorade, etc.
- FMYSA STAFF & UMPIRE STAFF SCREENING.
- FMYSA Staff will self-monitor per CDC guidelines.
- Umpires self-monitor per CDC guidelines.
- COACHES/PARENTS/FANS SCREENING.
- Coaches shall monitor their teams and request that ALL PARENTS/FANS self-monitor pursuant to CDC guidelines.
- Parents/Fans shall self-monitor pursuant to CDC guidelines.
- We encourage parents, players and coaches to practice good personal hygiene.
- We also encourage you to bring and use your own hand-sanitizer, disinfectants, etc.
- FMYSA will monitor game play protocol.
- THANK YOU! We are doing all we can to SAFELY PROVIDE BASEBALL this fall for our FMYSA teams (Players, Coaches and Parents/Fans) because we believe that these activities are important for the children we serve. We also believe and trust that our coaches, players and parents/fans will not attend if sick and will abide by CDC Guidelines and the Governors Executive Orders, and will also abide by the additional safety protocol and social distancing/mask wearing recommendations as set forth in this document.
FMYSA has been working diligently with the TOFM, our Parks Department and TOFM Government, Denton County, our State Representative Tan Parker & the Governors Office to do everything possible to provide a SAFE RETURN for Game Play and your cooperation is paramount to the success of this season.
Tracy G. Black
General Manager, Flower Mound Youth Sports Association
President, Flower Mound Youth Sports Association
THIS MESSAGE WAS ADDED ON JULY 3rd, 2020
As I am sure you know by now..the Governor of Texas issued an executive order today mandating the wearing of face coverings/masks in public. The good news is we are able to still play baseball and softball with just a few new rules. We ask that you share this information to your parents and ask that they share with whomever will be attending the games. Face coverings/masks are to be worn at all times..including walking into the Ballpark, going to the bathroom etc.. At all times..
Players, Coaches and Umpires will not have to wear face coverings/masks while in the field of play, (between the fences). As soon as they leave the field of play, they will be required to have a face covering/mask on. Please continue to practice Social Distancing.
The "Return to Play Safe Protocols" that were already sent to you still apply as well..just with the addition of mandated face covering/masks.